Gratitude | The Science Of Happiness

18:01

Gratitude is the best attitude
Picture from here
The other day, my mum emailed me this video to watch, because that's how we communicate (I'm joking, but we're constantly sending links to videos, recipes and clothes I would like haha). I found it really interesting and thought I'd share it with you, if you haven't seen it already. 

It has been found that one of the greatest influencing factors for our happiness, is how much gratitude we show. But do we really show how grateful we are as much as we think we do? Of course saying ''thank you'' in situations shows gratitude. But do we do that without thinking - simply because we have been brought up with the idea of manners. I, personally, do this. The words will just slip out of my mouth without giving it a second thought. I'm in no way saying that this is wrong - because having manners is important. But what I am saying, along the terms of this video, is if we begin to take it a step further, past just showing gratitude through manners, we could feel happier. 


I did a little reading on gratitude and what it actually is. I came across Robert Emmons who I think is quite a big guy in the scientific world of gratitude. He basically says that gratitude is being thankful for the good things that come our way and realizing that these big or small gifts of goodness come from those around us. Not only does it make us appreciate things but inspires us to return them. If you want to read more about this I'll link the website here, there are some interesting videos to watch within the article too.

I probably wouldn't have written a post around this topic a few weeks ago, even if it does interest me a lot, as I hadn't tested it out. However, at the beginning of this year, before I'd read up on any of this, I decided I was going to write in a little notebook at the end of each day. Not in the style of 'Dear Diary', but simply writing at least one sentence mentioning something during the day that made me smile, laugh or something I'm thankful for. So basically, it's like a diary of gratitude. Trust me when I say that I have seen quite a change in my outlook! Yes, I still have my moments or even days where I feel down and things get to me, that's just part of life. But I now find myself searching throughout each day for positive things, rather than dwelling on the negative aspects. Yes, there are days where it is a bit more difficult, but there is always something. Maybe at the end of the year, when I read through the book, I'll test out this experiment and tell any people I mention within the diary.

It would be great if you reading this right now, could grab a pen and paper and write down something that you're grateful for today - it could be absolutely anything small or big. I would love to read some of them in the comments as well, if you would like to share it. And finally, I'd just like to say I'm grateful for you reading this. I don't care I don't have hundreds of readers because it's lovely to just be able to write and have someone read, kind of like a nice friendly chat. Thank you! 


You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. Our principle made us watch this video during an assembly, a lot of hugs amongst friends were shared x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing blog post had a great read :D

    love your blog

    new post --> http://myroutinesjade.blogspot.co.uk/ would love to see a comment

    have a nice day

    Jade

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this video too and thought it was absolutely lovely when they did it. It really does remind you of what actually matters in life doesn't it? xx

    Sam | Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Thank you for reading

      Delete
  4. Aaw, I love these videos, they are really cute and you find yourself thinking 'I wish I could do this in my town or something'. :)
    I love that you wrote a post about it! :D Thank you for doing that! :)

    Much love xx
    Catarina // ohkori.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it'd be great to do it in my town and thank you

      Delete
  5. I've started keeping a gratitude diary too! I find it makes me far less negative about things, and has definitely made me happier. The video is so cute and I'm loving this post, made me feel all sorts of happy. :D

    little miss fii || Fii x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, let's hope we can keep it up haha. And thanks : )

      Delete
  6. I'm grateful for the family that I have, and that my partner's family is so welcoming to me as well!
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you tell them! Haha. Like the study said, if you tell them, not only will it make them feel great, but you'll also boost your happiness : )

      Delete
  7. Oh that video just made me cry. I am grateful for all the support that I get from my family and the friends I have. That is a great post and I liked it alot. Keep up the good work.

    LEJA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. That is lovely to hear and thank you : )

      Delete
  8. I've been working really hard on feeling more grateful for what I have in life lately. It's so easy to forget and get trapped in the "what you want to have". Right now, I would say I'm beyond grateful that I'm living abroad (I'm originally from France). I desperately want to keep on traveling but for various reasons I don't get to do it nearly as often as I'd like. But I'm an expat so technically already king of living a part of my dream. So yes, today I'm grateful for that :) It feels so good to say it. Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that sounds so nice, and it's lovely to hear that it made you feel good saying it : ) Thanks for reading

      Delete
  9. Love this post - I think I definitely need to show my appreciation a bit more, so thank you for the reminder! Also, I know it's a little late but thank you for nominating me for the Versatile Blogger award, it's now on my blog and I've also nominated you for the Liebster Blogger Award! <3
    http://www.thewallflowerwardrobe.co.uk/2015/01/versatile-blogger-and-liebster-blogger.html
    Emma xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank you, I may have to double it up with another

      Delete

Subscribe