8 Tips | How To Drink More Water

10:40

With January in the past, for most people, it means those new year resolutions fizzling out. We all know how it goes. Why? Well it could be you're overloaded with goals or you've jumped straight in at the deep end instead of taking small steps. 

Losing weight or living a healthier lifestyle are among some of the most common resolutions. With the motivation surge of the new year, we may turn to Google and ask ''How To Lose Weight?'', ''How To Become Healthier?'', ''Tips & Tricks For A Healthier Lifestyle''. One thing that is consistent throughout practically all the information we come across is ''drink more water''. 

We hear the importance of staying hydrated time and time again, but increasing our water intake can be such a hard task. It may be that you just love your cans of coke or cup of coffee, you can't stand the taste of water or you drink little fluid anyway. Trust me, I know the struggle. I use to enjoy my 3/4 cups of tea a day but not really drink much else throughout the day - even during the 7 hours of school. I always carried a bottle of cordial around and sometimes had a little sip, but other than that nothing. It's terrible I know. 

I suffered with headaches daily, therefore couldn't concentrate for long, and I felt a lot more tired than I should have. So, around this time last year I told myself I was going to increase my water intake! I now drink between 1-2 litres a day (in the summer it's around 2-3), and I thought I'd share a few things I've learnt along the way.


1. Small Steps

Like with most things, you'll probably struggle if you wake up one day and gulp down 3 litres. Set yourself goals each week and gradually increase the amount each time. I started off with just a small glass a day, then 2 ...


2. Have A Bottle With You Everywhere

I'd suggest purchasing a good 1 litre water bottle, I got mine from Sports Direct for like £3. Fill it up, pop it in your bag, have it next to you on your desk etc. Make it a habit - like you take your phone or keys with you everywhere. Make sure you actually drink from it though! Haha


3. Gulp It Down First Thing

Linking with the tip above, have some water next to your bed and first thing in the morning have a good drink, not just a little sip, your body hasn't had anything for however many hours. It helps wake you up too!


4. Keep Having A Sip

Even if you aren't thirsty, a little sip will help. I once read that when you reach the stage of wanting a drink, you are actually already dehydrated. So it's always best to just have a sip every now an then.


5. Start Out With Flavoured Water

If you can't stand the taste of water, opt for flavoured water at first to help get yourself use to drinking more. Yes, it may not be the healthiest, but it's a step. I use to pick up a litre bottle of Sainsbury's still flavoured water each morning. 

Or you could flavour your own with cucumber, berries, limes etc 


6. Teas Count Too

This is similar to the one above. If you enjoy your hot drinks, I sure do, why not give herbal or fruit teas a go. Or you could even make them iced teas! It may take you a little while to find flavours you like, or you could love them straight away. But it's a great way to increase your water intake - and also get the additional benefits of the tea.

One easy thing I'll suggest is squeeze half a lemon into a cup of boiled water, add in a bit of honey if you'd like it sweeter, and enjoy it in the mornings. I love doing this each day. I'll link you to 10 Benefits to Drinking Warm Lemon Water Every Morning. I'm working on finding teas that I like, so I'll be sure to let you know when I find some goodun's. 


7. Make It Classy

Grab a wine class and fill it up. I think wine glasses just make you feel superior and classy. It may sound a little strange but it worked for me, give it a go.


8. Accept You'll Need to Pee

Along with drinking more, comes needing to pee more. At first I got a little embarrassed at the fact I was constantly nipping to the loo, but the benefits of drinking more water definitely outweigh that tiny con.


You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. Love this! Drinking lots of herbal tea is how I get my water intake up. And some teas I'll sweeten with a little honey or agave nectar because some teas just need it! Chamomile, fennel, green rooibos and green tea and mint are favourites of mine! And they all have soooo many benefits so I feel quite content to drink tea all day long!! The combination of an increased water intake and herbal teas is SO good for your skin too! x

    www.courtneyella.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly trying to get used to drinking herbal teas because of the amazing benefits but at the moment I'm more of a fruity tea fan. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. Absolutely love this! I'm starting a water challenge in a couple days because I don't drink nearly enough water and these tips come in handy. Thank you for sharing!

    And um... "I think wine glasses just make you feel superior and classy" YES! They do.

    xo naomi
    www.naomiinwonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo that's a good idea, good luck! You're welcome and haha

      Delete
  3. Very Interesting!
    xx

    Midwestmakeupgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, I agree with number 6! Whenever i'm feeling too dull about drinking some more water, I usually opt for some green tea instead! x
    The Style Icon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you : ) And I'm trying to get used to green tea at them moment

      Delete
  5. I love drinking water, try and drink as much as possible these days! :)

    I have a new outfit post up on the blog, would love to know your thoughts:

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips, I definitely need to take this advice, would help my skin.

    Lovely blog by the way, would love to follow each other if you want? let me know :)

    x

    >>Fashion Nerdette Blog<<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely helped improve my skin and thank you, I'll have a look at your blog

      Delete
  7. I probably drink way to much water, if that is possible! I'm constantly talking at work and it makes my mouth dry, so I go through about 3 bottles in 5 hours! then not to mention the many cups of coffee, tea and phobia of night time dehydration!

    http://katsbeautytales.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I don't think you have to worry about being dehydrated

      Delete
  8. These are such helpful tips. I actually am pretty good about drinking water and find it weird when people don't like to drink water as much or if they forget to drink it. Personally, I love the flavor of water but only if it's filtered in some way. I do agree that it's super annoying to have to go pee a lot more, haha, but you're right, the benefits definitely outweigh that. :)


    Victoria
    treelinedavenue.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to be one of those people who hated it and now I'm confused why haha and thank you

      Delete
  9. Some great tips there, I actually like water so am not too bad when it comes to drinking it, although since being off on maternity I have found that I'm not drinking as much as I do in work and have had a few headaches as a result.

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I know what you mean, I'm the same when I'm at home as I always grab a cup of tea instead.

      Delete
  10. It's hard for most people to stick with water, due to all the carbonated drinks that they had become used to drinking. But with those tips, it’ll be easier for us to follow through the idea of drinking water everyday, and even weaning themselves from sodas and such. Thanks for sharing this with us, Kathryn. All the best!


    Judith Harvey @ Aquaperfect

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great ideas, I surely need to drink more, one way fo me is to make sure its cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Drinking an ample amount of water definitely plays a big part in helping the body attain a healthier status, and it probably is one of the easiest way to do so. Anyway, it’s great how we can enjoy drinking water in a lot of ways, some of which even makes it quite fun. Thanks for sharing this with us, Kathryn. All the best!


    Verna Griffin @ AXEON Water Technologies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by : )

      Delete

Subscribe