9 Things For A Perfect Mother's Day09:55
Mothers day is a week away and if you are anything like me, you get stuck every year thinking how to make the day as perfect as possible and give thanks to your mum for everything. I was much easier when you were younger and you would spend one afternoon in primary school on mothers day crafts. You thought you where being all secretive 'hiding' them away in 'hard to find' places, like placing them in a drawer she would go in when putting washing away.
Anyway, I've put together a few little things you could do that are simple, but will make a perfect mothers day.
1. Breakfast -Yes, I know, stereotypical mothers day thing is breakfast in bed. But instead of waking your mum up, which may not be so greatly appreciated, wait until she is up and then cook her up her favourite breakfast; even if that is just a bowl of cereal. Just make sure you're up before her!
2. Fresh flowers -Like I said above, wake up earlier and place a vase of lovely flowers in the centre of the table. Brighten up the day (especially if it decides to rain, which it most likely will in the UK).
3. Bake -Something homemade is always a winner! It doesn't matter if it doesn't go to plan, it's the thought that counts. Right?!
- The Best Chocolate Cake - This looks so delicious! Nothing beats a good slice (or 2) of chocolate cake, am I right?
- Tea Bag Cookies - These are such a cute little idea for mothers who love to sit down and enjoy a nice cup of tea and a couple of biscuits along side to dunk in.
- Strawberry Almond Layer Cake - In my opinion, this sounds like the perfect afternoon tea cake!
- Healthy Banana Bread - We've always got to have a healthier option.
4. No arguments -All families have their little fall outs; for me and my brothers it's almost a daily occurrence over something small and silly. But agree to not have any fall outs for the day, no sibling squabbles, keep it a day of peace.
5. Laundry basket full? Do the washing. -This goes for other little chores as well: washing up, hoovering, picking up that shoe left in the centre of the floor. Not only will you get the chores for that day done, you may get a few of the following days cleared of chores too. They'll greatly appreciate it! Especially if you and your siblings are working together to do them.
6. Go for a family walk -It's a day to spend as a family. So, instead of sitting in different rooms glued to screens all day, why not leave all technology and go for a nice little walk.
7. Allow her some peace and quiet -This contradicts the one above, but sometimes our mums may prefer spending a little time to themselves without having to rush around after us, do an abundance of tasks and don't want to be bothered too much. Take the rest of the family out for an hour or 2, you can still go for a walk.
8. A special gift -Although the day doesn't have to be about gifts, in my opinion, I think it's the perfect opportunity to give a little something. We all remember the days in primary school, coming home with a handmade card and some kind of crafted gift stuffed in our bags so they wouldn't see. But then when we presented them, they would be all crumpled. Some of my personal favourites are gifts that involve something either homemade, memorabilia or a little bit of chocolate (you can't go wrong with chocolate!)
- Generation photo - This is such a cute little idea and so easy to do, it's a shame I can't recreate it for quite a long time yet!
- Old Book Photo Album - Have a little rummage, find your favourite family photos from over the years and put them together in one place.
- A Wallet Surprise - Yes, this one does say 'for him' but you can still use the concept and slip them into her purse.
- Easy Homemade Chocolate Treats - So simple to quickly throw together the day before, and great to do with younger siblings. Plus any leftovers you can enjoy yourself.
9. Tell her you love her -Most of us probably don't do it as much as we should and although all the gifts and little things we do for our mums throughout the day SHOW them we love them, saying the word itself is the best gift they could want.
Are you planning on doing anything special for mothers day?