Carrot, Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup

08:17


Carrot, Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup Recipe

Soup. It's simple, comforting and perfect for all year round. My go to soup is this delicious carrot, sweet potato and lentil soup. The bit of cumin gives it a warming flavour and the lentils are a good source of protein to help keep you fuller for longer. It contains ingredients that, will more often than not, already be in your kitchen - it's such a lovely little soup to quickly whip up when needed. 

Over the past 2 weeks, I have consumed quite a lot of it, due to the fact I got braces. As anyone who has ever had braces knows, which is surprisingly quite a lot of people, that they can be a pain (literally) to eat with for the first week or 2 - and I've heard it's worse when you get them tightened. Oh the joys! 

Carrot, Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup Recipe

I'm also pretty busy with college work as this week is mock exam week. Although I don't have exam, exam, exam, I only realised a few weeks ago how much I need to know. Also, me being me, forgot about a whole heap of homework I had to do during the holidays - woop fun times. So this soup has come in handy. Having a few servings worth in the fridge ready to heat up whenever I don't have time to prepare something else.

Of course sweet potato is making an appearance again, who doesn't love them? No seriously, is there anyone who doesn't actually like them? If there is, what, why and how?

Anyway onto the recipe...

Carrot, Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 3 Large carrots 
  • 1 Large sweet potato
  • 1 Onion
  • 2/3 cup Red split lentils
  • 2 Garlic cloves
  • Boiled water
  • 1/2 tsp Mixed herbs
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin
  • 1/2 tsp Paprika 
  • Salt and pepper 
  • 1 tbsp oil 

Directions:

Serves 4/5
1. Firstly, peel the sweet potato and carrots and then dice them. Rinse the lentils under some water.
2. Add the oil of choice to a large pan on a medium heat. Chop the onion and crush the garlic, then add them to the pan. 
3. Once the onion has softened, add in the diced carrot, potato and then the rinsed lentils. Pour over some boiling water (enough to cover the ingredients).
4. Turn the heat up and bring to a boil. Add in the herbs, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Then cover with a lid.
5. Stirring occasionally, leave to boil for 20 minutes. If needed, add in extra water to make sure it doesn't all soak up.
6. After 20 minutes, check to see if the everything has soften, if so remove from heat and leave to stand for a few minutes. Then blend the soup.
7. If needed, return to the heat briefly and then serve.

Carrot, Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup Recipe









It goes perfectly alongside a piece of crusty bread or, my brothers preference, a small bowl of chunky chips. 

You can store any leftovers in sealed tupperware in the fridge, I'd say for no more than 4 days, and have it to hand throughout the week. Or you could freeze it, allow it to completely cool and then pour it into a zip top freezer bag, release any excess air and then place in the freezer. It can last up to around 2/3 months.

You Might Also Like

21 comments

  1. Ohh man, winter is coming soon and I just looove soup. Also Kathryn your photos look even nicer every time I come back! Keep it up!
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got really confused there and then I remembered you're from Australia ahah. And thank you so much, I've been working on improving my photos so it's lovely to hear that it's not going unnoticed : )

      Delete
  2. Ooh this looks absolutely delicious! I love making soups especially when I can hide vegetables in and blend it. I'll definitely be giving this one a go. Thanks for sharing :)

    Debbie x www.hellodeborah.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you're right it's a great way to pile in a bunch of veg in one sitting : )

      Delete
  3. That sounds so delicious. And I bet so comforting since you said you have braces! =)

    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I think I'll be making another batch tomorrow haha

      Delete
  4. That sounds very delicious :) X

    Follow me on GFC, I always follow back.
    WWW.HEKYMA.COM

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible recipe! I love all types of soup so much, especially when it's this cold still outside

    XO naomi Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'd love to know if you try it out!

      Delete
  6. Definitely trying this! I've been on a bit of a soup kick myself too (what is cold food when the weather is so cold outside), and I'm trying to consume as many winter flavours as I can before spring comes and all I want is cucumber. It looks so easy too! :D

    I'm not a massive fan of the roll neck (even at 21 myself!), but I think that's mostly because I don't really know what to wear it with. So this post is a definite help! Love the idea of pairing them with a leather(-look) legging or trouser!

    little miss fii || Fii x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love wintry foods but I'm looking forward to strawberries! Let me know how if you like it!

      Delete
  7. this looks ridiculously good! i haven't had soup in about 3 months, I'm from australia and we've just hit autumn this month. can't wait to try this recipe when winter weather kicks in!

    What Makes Mary
    Mary xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and it's weird to think you're going into winter and we're going into summer

      Delete
  8. This looks so yummy and creamy!

    Sarah
    https://everydayconcepts.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and Oooo you could always add a spoonful of greek yoghurt - that would be delicious!

      Delete
  9. Love your photography, all of your images are so clean and light
    x
    myebaywardrobe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I've been trying to gradually improve my photos so it means a lot to see that being recognised!

      Delete
  10. This soup sounds delicious, I love the combination of sweet potatoes and carrots with lentils! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend? I hope you will join us again this Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great recipe. Top marks. Thanks for posting this.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you enjoyed it : )

      Delete

Subscribe