DIY Sewn Saying Decoration

10:55

Recipe For Life : pinch of fun, spoonful of laughter, cup of love, measure of kindness, mixed together with a bit of humour.

A good few months ago, maybe even a year, I was browsing on Dunelm's website and came across this lovely saying simply sewn onto some fabric. It was really cute and simple so I saved the image of it in one of my folders, as a reminder to go to a store and pick it up. But I forget about it, until the other week whilst browsing through my folders on my laptop and cleaning them up a bit, I came across it. But instead of checking whether they still stock the item, I decided to have a go at making it myself - I was in the mood for doing some sewing. 


So I rummaged through my mums sewing box and found some spare fabric, spent a good 15 minutes deciding on the colours of thread and got to work. It really isn't a difficult DIY to do! The hardest part for me was trying to put it in the frame without the fabric all wrinkling (I didn't do to bad - I hope). But once you get into the rhythm with the sewing pattern, it's so relaxing to sit back with a good film or TV show on and just sew away.


You Will Need:

  • A picture frame
  • Fabric (enough to fit the measurements of the picture frame)
  • Thread
  • Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Pen
  • Needle 
  • Extra decorations such as buttons
  • Needle thread (it doesn't effect the DIY if you don't have one, it just makes threading the needle so much quicker and easier)

Instructions:


1. Measure the dimensions of your picture frame, then draw them out on the fabric - adding on an extra 1-2 cm.

2. Next, write out the saying on a piece of paper in the way you want it to look so that you don't make any mistakes on the fabric. Then copy it onto the fabric.

3. Cut the piece of fabric out.


4. Begin sewing. I used a loop the loop pattern (shown above) - Feed the needle threw the fabric (you want to make sure the knot in the thread will always be on the back of the fabric), then backtrack and thread the needle threw to the back, next bring the needle back threw but further along then were it came threw last time, then repeat by going to the point you last came threw.

5. Sew on any decorations, frame it and hang it and you are done!



I find I can't just sit and watch TV, I need to be doing something with my hands - so sewing is the perfect thing. Do you enjoy sewing?



You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. Omg this is so pretty! Definitely going to try this!

    Sarah
    https://everydayconcepts.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'd love to see the final product!

      Delete
  2. This is so cute! I want to try and embroider some cute things on tops.
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I'd love to see what you create

      Delete
  3. This is so cute! The buttons are a lovely touch :)

    Emma xx

    www.alittlefreckle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so amazing, would be perfect for a cute gift to a member of family or friend, I wish I was patient enough to do this though, I'd probably get half way through the second word and give up!

    CLOTHING CONSCIOUS// FASHION & LIFESTYLE BLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea! I thought I wouldn't have the patience to finish it but it's really quite enjoyable

      Delete
  5. I love this! It looks super cool & fancy but I think this is something I could pull off. Thanks for the inspiration.

    :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a simple project but looks like you spent ages doing it, thank you for stopping by

      Delete
  6. Lovely idea and I love the 'recipe for life' too. Such nice inspiration to have on your wall as a positive reminder - Louise

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely Kathryn! Nice to see a fellow sewing blogger :)
    xxx
    www.cathaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, I don't always do sewing but when I do it is very enjoyable

      Delete
  8. This is so adorable. I'd like to try it out sometime, if I'm able to get the supplies xx :)

    Brooke | brookewrote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see if you do! The supplies should be easy to get, just pop into a craft or fabric shop : )

      Delete
  9. A cute project, it has turned out lovely.

    Over from Making the world cuter block party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by : )

      Delete
  10. I love this "life recipe" project! So adorable, it turned out lovely. Thank you for sharing with Idea Box link party! Hope to see you again this Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I'll definitely be stopping by : )

      Delete

Subscribe