Stewed Rhubarb Porridge

10:00

The peace and quiet I've had every week day for the past 3 weeks has been bliss! I've been able to get up and drink my tea whilst my brothers are heading out the door for school, then I had the time to spend in the kitchen making a delicious, non rushed breakfast - without anyone getting in the way. 

Stewed rhubarb porridge with strawberries

I got the chance to play around with a few different combinations for porridge; along with making delicious smoothie bowls and nice cream. Rhubarb is often a fruit I forget about, I mean I love a good rhubarb crumble, but it's not the type of fruit I would nip to the shop specifically to get. But, when I saw it in Lidl the other week I picked some up. 

Of course I made some crumble and I also made my rhubarb samosas, but I ended up with a bit left over so made it into my breakfast one morning. I loved it! I love the tartness of the fruit as it's different from having a sweet porridge. But, as rhubarb and strawberries go so well together, I through a few in which helped give it a little sweetness too. And as both fruits are in season at the moment, they taste their absolute best! 

Stewed rhubarb porridge with strawberries

Stewed rhubarb porridge with strawberries

On a less exciting note, my brothers have now broken up for summer. Which means I won't be able to every being home alone all day. But it ain't going to stop me making delicious breakfasts each morning - because breakfast is just the best! If you haven't guessed by now, especially from my instagram (shameless plug), breakfast is my favourite meal of the day.

Ingredients  

  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup water*
  • 1/2 cup non diary milk*
  • 1/2 cup rhubarb, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp brown sugar (to taste)
  • A few strawberries
 * more may be needed

Directions

1. Add the rhubarb, water, ginger and sugar to a pan and simmer on a medium heat till the rhubarb has softened,
2. Add in the oats and milk then mix well. Still on a medium heat, allow the porridge to cook - adding in extra milk or water if needed.
3. Stir in chopped strawberries and serve.


You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. I totally feel like porridge now, I will have some for breakfast in the morning!
    Btw congrats on reaching 100 bloglovin followers!
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination
    Btw check out my sweet Lightbox Giveaway if you haven’t already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime is porridge time! Thank you so much : )

      Delete
  2. I am DEFINITELY trying this. Oh my god I actually want some now (can porridge be a midnight snack). Love a bit of rhubarb and I really need to up my instagrammable breakfast game. :DD

    Fii | little miss fii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead haha and all I seem to instagram is breakfast ... oh well it's delicious!

      Delete
  3. My sister would really love this! I'm going to share this post with her right now!
    Peace xo
    www.waitwhatok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hoe she likes it : )

      Delete
  4. Never thought to put ginger in my porridge! thanks for the inspriration #mixitupmonday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it goes really well with the rhubarb

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this breakfast idea at the Inspire Me Mondays Link-Up! It's fast, simple and healthy. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some rhubarb that has been sitting unloved in my fridge for a few days now. Didn't know what to do with it as am trying to be a bit healthier so making my usual cakes/crumble etc seemed a bad idea. I love this breakfast idea instead. This is exactly what I need to use up my supply! Thanks for sharing - Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, hope you enjoy it. Nothing wrong with a good bit of crumble though haha : )

      Delete
  7. I absolutely love this! Pinned and tweeted. Thank you so much for bringing such a masterpiece to our party. I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm. We can’t wait to party with you! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim and sure will do as always : )

      Delete

Subscribe