Super Power Green Porridge/Oatmeal

09:00

Porridge. Oatmeal. Whatever you call it...It seems the past few years it has become a very much loved breakfast. That's probably because of the many ways you can jazz up the standard as well as the fact it's a super brilliant way to start the day - filling, healthy and warming.

My parents brought me up on eating porridge every morning for breakfast, well other than weetabix (another huge love), so I've always loved it. But, I remember whenever I mentioned it to people, they often pulled a face and said comments mentioning 'mush', 'prison food' and 'boring'. Let's face it, they probably weren't making it right!

Super Power Green Spirulina Porridge/Oatmeal - A delicious, filling and even healthier way to start your day!

However, to be honest, my parents always made it quite plain, but never failed to comfort me. It would be cooked the night before with milk and a pinch of salt and left in the pan over night, then reheated the next morning and served with a sprinkling of sugar. I must say, it was very delicious and perfect on those cold winter mornings, especially when it was 4am and I needed to be taken to my grandmas so they could go to work (probably explains why I'm more of a morning person).

When I began cooking breakfast for myself, I carried on serving it the same way; just not making it the night before because I always forgot. Then I began jazzing it up slowly. My first favourite became simply raisins, then it was frozen blueberries, then cinnamon and banana. However, now, I definitely have taken it up another notch.
Super Power Green Spirulina Porridge/Oatmeal - A delicious, filling and even healthier way to start your day!

Seriously, there is no turning back now, I have full on immersed myself in the porridge culture. I genuinely have concerns for myself. I am pretty sure I have an addiction. There is rarely a day that goes by where I don't have a bowl of porridge. Please tell me I'm not alone.

This recipe is one of my go to recipes at the moment. I recently purchased some spirulina powder, as I had heard a few people on YouTube and in blog posts mention adding it to smoothies. Also it's a brilliant source of B vitamins, iron, zinc, potassium... the list goes on! The moment I smelt it, I did not think it was going to end well, but I added a bit to my porridge the next day and played around with different amounts and other added things and tah dah, delicious and healthy start to the day.

I love topping mine with banana and stirring in a handful of raisins.

Super Power Green Spirulina Porridge/Oatmeal - A delicious, filling and even healthier way to start your day!

print recipe

Super Power Green Porridge
Delicious porridge with an even healthier kick
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup Oats
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1/3 cup Soy milk (or other milk alternative)
  • 3/4 tbsp Spirulina powder
  • 1 tbsp Choice of sweetener (golden syrup, maple syrup, agave etc)
  • 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp Peanut butter
  • Plus toppings of choice (e.g banana, sultanas etc)
Instructions
1. Mix together oats, spirulina and cinnamon in a pan before adding the water.2. Place on a medium heat for around 2 minutes, or until the mixture begins boiling, then turn down to a low heat and allow to simmer for a few minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally to avoid sticking.3. Once the mixture has thicken, stir in the soy milk and sweetener then cook for a further minute or 2.4. Serve with a dollop of peanut butter and other toppings of choice.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: Serves 1

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe