Chunky Bean Minestrone Soup

09:00

There's something really lovely about coming home during the winter, knowing you have some delicious homemade soup waiting for you. That's especially how I felt earlier this week! When it was so stormy, cold and wet outside, I was in a lecture till 5:30 so walked back in darkness and I was very tired, knowing I had made this soup earlier that day was a warm hug from my past self (what?).

Chunky Bean Minestrone Soup -A warming, filling dish that creates perfect leftovers. Served with a crusty bit of bread, this homemade vegan soup will be a favourite throughout winter.

I have recently been craving a good soup. With a side of delicious crusty bread. Warming and quick to throw together, but will satiate you. About 2 years ago, I was eating soup every night at this time of year...I'm not sure whether it was because I was addicted, found the whole cooking of them really simple and perfect for leftovers, they were warm and comforting, or the variety I could have. To be honest it was probably all those factors combined.

The majority of the soups I made, I blended but I've come to realise you can't beat a chunky soup. Minestrone is one of the most obvious chunky soups and it's just delicious! The dish always reminds me of weekends when my mum cooked a soup for lunch during winter, served with crusty butter baguette or a hedgehog loaf (ah I miss childhood). Alongside broth, a good old tomato soup and soups with pearl barley (which I always forget exisits), minestrone was a regular. I can now see why, it's so filling, quick to make and can sit in the pot for leftovers - which I highly recommend doing because it just enhances the flavour so much more. 

Chunky Bean Minestrone Soup -A warming, filling dish that creates perfect leftovers. Served with a crusty bit of bread, this homemade vegan soup will be a favourite throughout winter.


Another thing to add, having your own homemade vegetable stock powder (like this one) in a little jar in the cupboard is so handy. Instead of having to measure out all the herbs and spices that help create the basis of soups and stews etc, you can just throw a tablespoon or two of your mixture in. Plus, I prefer it over store bought stock cubes because I find them too salty for my liking; I prefer to have control over how much salt goes into a dish.


print recipe

Chunky Bean Minestrone Soup
Warming winter soup, perfect to quickly throw together and leave leftovers in the pan for delicious second helpings.
Ingredients
  • 1 Red onion, diced
  • 2 large Carrot, diced
  • 3 large stalks Celery, diced
  • 2 cups Cabbage, shredded
  • 1 can Kidney beans
  • 2 cups, dried Spaghetti, snapped into 2inch pieces
  • 2 tbsp Tomato puree
  • 2 tbsp homemade or 1 cube Veg stock
  • 1 tsp Garlic powder
  • 1 tsp Thyme
  • 1 tsp Rosemary
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • To taste Salt & pepper
  • Enough to cover Water
Instructions
1. Fry the onions in a bit of water till translucent.2. Add in the carrot, celery, beans and cabbage and cook for a few minutes on medium high heat.3. Cover ingredients with boiling water then stir in the tomato puree, veg stock, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Allow to cook for 10 minutes on a medium heat.4. Lastly, add the snapped spaghetti and cook for 10-15 more minutes.5. Serve and enjoy. Or leave in the pan for a few hours and reheat (really bumps up the flavour)
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe