Vegetable Lentil Savory Muffins

09:00

With Christmas right around the corner, it's time for fellow vegans and vegetarians to find that perfect recipe to bring to the dinner table. Just because we choose not to eat the so called 'traditional' turkery, doesn't mean we have to skip on a part of the meal and be left with just potatoes and veg (although I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with that).

Vegetable Lentil Savory Muffin - The perfect Christmas main for fellow vegans or vegetarians, make in advance and freeze to save time and stress on Christmas day

Last year was my first year not eating meat at Christmas and I must admit, I kind of struggled to throw something together as I didn't really think about what I was going to do. All I did was throw some lentils with a bit of gravy together and served that. There was nothing wrong with it, but the addition to the sides of potatoes and veg is usually the main focus and it was a bit of a let down. Yes, I know, I could have googled a recipe to make but I didn't.

So this year, alongside pinning and noting down a bunch of recipes, I decided to throw together my own center piece. I will most likely still end up making some of the other recipes I've found throughout the Christmas period; especially whilst I'm at home to impress my family with wonderful Christmas vegan dishes.

Vegetable Lentil Savory Muffin - The perfect Christmas main for fellow vegans or vegetarians, make in advance and freeze to save time and stress on Christmas day

However, the main reason I'll be making these vegetable lentil savory muffins is because I can make them in advance and freeze them! Seriously, little preparations like that make all the difference on Christmas day. I guess you are all aware of how hetic the kitchen can get on! I remember growing up, my parents prepped the vegetables, potatoes, got the chicken ready, everything so that they could spend time with my brothers and I as we opened gifts. Then, the year before last, I prepared the whole Christmas meal for the family. Yes, there may have only been 5 of us, but still, the timings of everything and having multiple pans going and timers beeping, it can get a little stressful.

Vegetable Lentil Savory Muffin - The perfect Christmas main for fellow vegans or vegetarians, make in advance and freeze to save time and stress on Christmas day


These don't have to be just a Christmas thing either, they are perfect for all year round. It may seem like a lot goes into making them, with having to soak the lentils overnight, then allow them to cook. But if you make it in bulk, you can store some in the fridge for throughout the week or pop them in the freezer and simply heat them in the microwave for 3-5 minutes or in the oven until heated through.


print recipe

Veggie Lentil Savory Muffins
These muffins are perfect for popping in the freezer and heating in the microwave for a quick filling addition to a meal. They also make a brilliant addition to your Christmas meal.
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup, dry Yellow lentils
  • 1, finely chopped Carrot
  • 1, finely chopped Onion
  • 1, finely chopped Celery stalk
  • 1/2, finely chopped Green pepper
  • 2tbsp Tomato puree
  • 1 1/2tbsp Mustard
  • 2 (2tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water) Flax egg
  • 1 cup Flour
  • 1tbsp Thyme
  • 1tbsp Rosemary
  • to taste Salt and pepper
Instructions
1. Soak lentils overnight, rinse, then cook according packet instructions and allow the cooked lentils to cool.2. Preheat the oven to 200° and lightly grease a muffin tray with dairy free spread or coconut oil.3. Saute the onion, celery, carrot and pepper on a medium heat until soft and cooked.4. Make the flax eggs and set aside to thicken for a few minutes5. Combine the cooled lentils, cooked veg, tomato puree, mustard, herbs and spices and flax egg.6. Gradually add in the flour, combine well7. Spoon the mixture into muffin tin and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes
To reheat, pop in the microwave for 3-5 minutes or the oven for around 10-15 minutes to ensure they are heated through.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 Muffins

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe