Vegetable Broth with Pearl Barley

08:00

A simple throw everything in a pot dish but a warming and filling bowl of this is the perfect thing on a cold winter afternoon.

I feel like broth is a love or hate thing (okay that probably doesn't sell it, just give me a lil bit of time). Growing up, broth was a regular thing in my household during winter. I always remember my parents picking up of bag of ready chopped veg, with a spring of thyme tied to the bag, from the market stalls. Typically, we had it on a Sunday for lunch, with some buttered tiger bread, and the smell of it cooking is such a reminiscent scent. Not going to lie, I had a love and hate relationship with it as I always thought my parents made it to salty for my liking.


Vegetable Broth with Pearl Barley - A simple throw everything in a pot dish but a warming and filling bowl of this soup is the perfect thing on a cold winter afternoon.

Pearl barley is also something I've grown to love, I always picked at soups that my mum had made with the addition to the grain. Guess everyone goes through fussy eating as a child...

But enough of saying how little I USE to like things and now to talk about how things have changed. Making this broth, as a warming comfort food, is something that would make my child self laugh.

I usually make a big batch then eat it over a day or two...always served with some fresh buttered rolls; like these rosemary and black pepper rolls. But a great thing I've found about this recipe is that the pearl barley often soaks up extra stock overnight and so typically I enjoy it as a sort of risotto the next day.

What's a reminiscent dish from your childhood?

Vegetable Broth with Pearl Barley - A simple throw everything in a pot dish but a warming and filling bowl of this soup is the perfect thing on a cold winter afternoon.


print recipe

Vegetable Broth With Pearl Barley
A simple throw everything in a pot dish but a warming and filling bowl of this is the perfect thing on a cold winter afternoon. 
  • 2 large carrots
  • 2 large potatoes
  • 2 cups, shredded cabbage
  • 1 onion
  • 1 cup, pearl barley
  • 1.5 litres, vegetable stock
  • 1 tsp, thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
1. Dice onion, carrots and potatoes. Lightly fry the onion until translucent. 2. Add the stock and pearl barley to the pot and bring to a boil. 3. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat down to a medium simmer and add in the carrots, potatoes, cabbage and seasoning. 4. Allow to simmer for around an hour, stirring occasionally and add more stock if needed. 5. Once the vegetables and pearl barley are cooked, you're ready to serve. 6. Any leftovers can be left in the pan, covered, and served the next day. The liquid may have all been soaked up so feel free to add more or serve as sort of a risotto. 
Details
Prep time: Cook time: 1 hour 15 minsTotal time: 1 hour 25Yield: 5-6 Servings 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Ah this looks like the perfect comfort dish! I love going for crisp Winter walks and returning home to soup/broth like this! :)

    Style Sunrise☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe